International tax lawyer
Taxation is a field that often has to deal with situations involving different tax systems and deal with any double taxation generated on the same transactions.
The tax consequences of the international mobility of people and goods are often difficult to grasp, given the boom in technology and the dematerialization of the economy. Added to this are the ever-increasing economic constraints on the budgets of states seeking both to attract talent and investment and to have their budgets financed by non-voting foreigners….
This environment creates numerous traps and obstacles that must be mastered to avoid serious setbacks. But it also brings opportunities. The tax lawyers at AlterTax support their clients, both individuals and companies, in their international development by helping them to define and implement a winning international tax strategy.
They also ensure the compliance of their operations with the French and foreign tax environment in order to secure their investments abroad and control their tax risk.
In this way, they can limit the tax exposure of French companies that have developed activities or own assets in Europe or abroad, or of foreign companies operating in France or holding assets there.
Our expertise in French tax rules, European law and bilateral tax treaties enables AlterTax Avocats’ lawyers to offer their clients solutions to avoid double taxation of the same tax base, and to optimize their overall effective tax rate.
AlterTax Avocats, experts at your side
Our team of tax lawyers provides assistance to companies in the following areas:
- Assistance and advice for setting up French companies abroad or foreign companies in France
- The methods and choice of setting up structures or activities in France or abroad, and how to secure them, particularly in terms of corporation tax (analysis of the risk of qualifying as a permanent establishment).
- Management of international flows (dividends, royalties, interest, capital/debt investment ratios) and their tax impact
- Setting up structures for acquiring foreign assets or companies as part of external growth operations
- Optimizing the effective tax rate of international groups
- Support for staff mobility policy
- Securing treaty-based mechanisms for eliminating double taxation
- Obtaining permanent establishment tax rulings or regularizing tax situations with the French tax authorities
- Setting up intangible asset remuneration streams (royalties) and preferential tax regimes for intellectual property
- Setting up service and merchandise flows (VAT and transfer pricing justification)
AlterTax Avocats, a team at the side of individuals
In the case of individuals, we provide assistance in the following areas:
- Analysis of tax residency criteria and securing tax residency in a single state. Analysis of income attributable to France for activities carried out in France and abroad. Preparation of documentation and tax returns;
- Structuring and declaring artists’ and athletes’ income from their participation in events in France and abroad (determination of income distribution rules, tax declarations, VAT analysis of event receipts, etc.);
- Analysis of the rules for linking and apportioning income from self-employed activities (BNC) carried out in France and abroad;
- The structuring of investments in real estate assets located in France or abroad (holding arrangements, taxation of different income streams, deductibility of acquisition debts), both in terms of registration duties and income tax (and withholding tax), and the real estate wealth tax (IFI).
- Holdings in French or foreign holding or investment companies (dividend and interest flows) with regard to corporation tax and income tax.
- Sale or transfer of assets held in France or abroad
- Preparation of tax returns (income tax, withholding tax, etc.)
Cyril Maucour international tax lawyer based in Paris
It’s good to be informed, but it’s even better to be accompanied by an expert tax lawyer. Let’s get in touch.
FAQ on international taxation
Here are some frequently asked questions about international taxation:
What is the role of an international tax lawyer?
An international tax lawyer specializes in tax law applicable to cross-border transactions and operations. He advises on tax compliance, structuring international operations, and helps navigate tax regulations in different countries.
When should I consult an international tax lawyer?
It is advisable to consult an international tax lawyer when expanding your activities abroad, for international investments, or when facing complex tax issues involving several jurisdictions.
How can an international tax lawyer help my company?
He can help you plan and structure your international activities in a tax-efficient way, advise you on tax treaties, and ensure that you comply with tax laws in all the countries concerned, thereby reducing the risk of penalties and tax reassessments.
Can an international tax lawyer handle international tax disputes?
Yes, these lawyers are equipped to handle international tax disputes, including representation before tax authorities and courts in various countries, and to negotiate agreements with foreign tax authorities.
Is international taxation only relevant for large companies?
No, international taxation concerns any company or individual engaged in commercial activities or investments abroad, whatever its size. International tax rules can affect SMEs, start-ups and large multinationals alike.
How can an international tax lawyer help with double taxation?
The lawyer can advise you on the application of tax treaties to avoid double taxation and optimize the overall tax burden of your international activities, ensuring efficient use of tax credits and tax structures.
Haven’t found the answer to your question? Read our articles on international taxation!
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.